Friday 12 August 2011

Where to begin? A new country, perhaps?!

It's been a while since my last post so I thought I'd better  stop being so lazy and reassure a few of you who've been asking that I'm still here and all is fine :)

And 'here' is now South Korea! My Bloke and I have been here a couple of weeks and it's gone really quickly and, so far, really smoothly. The move seems to have helped me relax as far as this pregnancy goes - it seems to have been the new start that I needed, which is rather counter-intuitive when moving house (let alone country) is supposed to be one of the most stressful life events, along with bereavement and divorce. But then, I don't think fertility treatment has it's rightful place on that list yet, and to me an international move seems like childs-play compared to that!

So, this new state of calm, along with my increasingly large belly is helping me to accept that this pregnancy is real and (still hopefully, but in all likelihood) will end with a baby, our baby. Talking of my belly, it is getting more and more obvious that I'm pregnant rather than chubby, depending on what outfit I wear - I'm currently favouring maternity pants and tops that seem to hug my belly and make it more obvious... after waiting so long for this bump, I am milking it for all it's worth quite shamelessly :).

One 'first' this week (there were a few) was getting offered a seat on the metro for the first time. The people here are generally very polite and good about standing up to let older people, pregnant women and mothers carrying children sit down... this time, an older lady stopped a younger girl sitting in a vacant seat on a packed train to allow me to sit down - my saviour!

Because the only downside of the my current state of health is my ongoing back/hip problems. The pain that started at 12 weeks has continued and is really no better, plus I now have a line of hard lumps/nodules along the sides of my back and round to my hips. The whole thing is really slowing me down in my exploration of my new home - walking for 15 minutes leaves me sore and standing for 30 minutes leaves me feeling faint and in need of a lie down. I'm also still struggling with sleep because turning over is painful unless I lift my butt and try not to let my hips touch the bed. An assortment of pillows is helping, but is not ideal. I saw a physio before leaving China and he gave me some strengthening exercises and talked a lot about how the muscles compensate for any instability in the pelvis caused by ligament loosening/stretching, which I'm more prone to because I have hypermobile joints. But he also said there is no sign of instability in my joints at the moment... I never really felt that I got a solid diagnosis but I only saw him twice before moving, so figured I'd get a more definitive answer here... once I work out which kind of Doctor I need to see - a physio, chiropractor or acupuncturist?.... but that's a post for another day!

But, to end on a positive note, all is generally great. I gave in and bought a fetal doppler and enjoy listening to the little one's heartbeat every few days or so (I have managed to avoid obsession so far!). He seems to be wriggling around a lot so sometimes it's harder to find than others, but hopefully that means I might start to feel some of those wriggles and kicks soon :)

Thanks to those that were asking after me and sorry for my absence in commenting on your blogs... I will make more effort to keep up to date from now on (though there might be another lull when we move into our new home until I get internet connected and/or work out how to change my new phone into English and update from there!). xx

6 comments:

  1. Yay - this is exciting! I lived in a few countries in my life, too (and even more cities). SO I think I got much tougher and I doubt that moving equals divorce (I went through that one, too... no, there is no comparison).

    I have a bloggy friend who lived in Korea for a few years - and had her first child there. She always speaks very highly about all the child services there and kindergartens, apparently, are abundant and extremely good!

    Totally hear you on waiting for the baby kicks. Yesterday evening, as I was in bed, I felt a series of things... which might've been just gas - but somehow I think this might've been my baby! I tried pressing on my uterus (lightly) in response, but then got all confused as to what - if anything - I felt in response :)

    Glad t=to see you back and well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that Korea is treating you well. I'm quite fond of the place, so I was hoping you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are settling in. I was wondering when things would settle down enough for you to get back to your blog. I suppose all the excitement of moving has made the weeks pass quickly for you. Can't believe you're at 17 weeks already!

    With my second pregnancy I had severe problems with my hips and back which I discovered were caused by "symphysis pubis dysfunction". If you're having this problem, I recommend seeing a chiropractor, specifically one who knows the "Webster technique". It did wonders for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time visiting your blog and I am obsessed with your journey! I hope you feel better. This has been a challenging pregnancy for me as well. I believe we are due at around the same time so I'm very excited to have found you. Or I guess you found me first! Anyways congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pregnancy is a wonderful feeling ever. Everyone will treat you special at that time. You will take care of yourself and need to rest for more time.

    ReplyDelete